Monday, April 30, 2007

Destined for Destiny


Throughout Christian era history, each generation has its apocalyptic fringe.

They believe that the "end times" are going to happen soon. They'll be here to witness it.

2000 years of people, countless hundreds of thousands have believed this.

They were all wrong.

Peter believed it. He wrote a large portion of the New Testament and helped set Christianity on its path to dominance. He was wrong.

You can believe whatever you want to believe. I don't want to change your beliefs if you think things are going to end tomorrow. I expect you have a plan that conforms to your beliefs. I wonder what that plan is, because I wonder if there's any way I wouldn't max out my credit cards and live a life of wanton debauchery if I believed it was all going to end tomorrow. But the end time believers wouldn't get to heaven if they did that.

The thing that kills me is that some of them got into government. One became President.

That is profoundly scary.

If you honestly thought that God was going to swallow up all the faithful and leave the rest to suffer through the reign of Satan on Earth, what would your motivation be to improve life on earth?

I don't want these people running things. They aren't likely to worry about global warming or to try to explore space to help preserve humanity. They wouldn't see any reason not to burn up all the oil and get rich today, damn tomorrow. They would not have a long term plan - there is no long term for them.

Take your religion and stay home. The future is for those that believe in it.

No comments: