Sunday, April 29, 2007

Dark Tower by Stephen King


(SPOILER WARNING!)

I finished the Dark Tower series.

I thought it was really well written. I read in the paper the day after I finished it that they are going to have a "Graphic Novel" (can anyone just say Comic Book) come out about it. The article said that many fans were disappointed in the ending of the Dark Tower Series.

I wasn't. I didn't see it coming and I was really hoping Roland could finally rest, but it made sense when you thought about it. How else could Roland know so much about what was going to happen? They always said that Ka was a wheel. I like the little twist at the end where this time around he has the horn that Cuthbert had dropped the day at the battle of Jericho Hill. It's like reincarnation, a zen buddist thing, where each life you get to improve a little until you finally got it right. I told a co-worker about it and he said, "It's like Ground Hog Day (the movie)". I guess he's right.

I have to say that I probably liked Oy better than any character. I did like Jake a lot, and I was surprised to find that I really liked Eddie by the time he died - I couldn't stand him at first.

I was wondering why they didn't have the magical artist character draw legs back on Susannah, fingers back on Roland, and a tongue back on himself. As long as you've got magical powers, you might as well use them. I know I would.

King really does borrow a lot from other stories, doesn't he? I remember the premise of the guy that made them laugh. I've seen that story or something really close to it before.

Well, you're not supposed to walk away from a Stephen King story feeling all happily ever after, are you? It does make you want to go back and re-read the older ones, doesn't it?

No comments: