Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Gunning for You

I went on a weekend trip to my Uncle's cabin with my brothers.  I took a handgun that my brother gave me, as we were going to have an opportunity to shoot (but we didn't).


I was driving the next day on I-70 toward Salina and saw an oncoming State Trooper quickly pull into the turnaround lane.  It seemed that he was aiming for me and I might get a speeding ticket.  I was going 7 over, but you never know what will trigger something like that, and there were some construction zones ("am I still in it?" you think).


While I passed the police car and watched to see if I was busted, I realized something that made it suddenly much worse.  I had the loaded handgun in its case on the floor behind the passenger seat.  It was in a case, but the case was in plan view.  I shoved it under the seat and took a more keen interest in what the Trooper was up to.


He was cruising along behind the guy behind me, not trying to bust anyone.


What the hell are the laws about transporting firearms?  You know hunters drive with weapons in their car, so it can't be illegal.  Does it have to be out of reach?  Does the ammo have to be separate from the gun?  Oh shit.


Pulled into the Russell Stover Outlet after about 20 miles of fretting and realized he was no longer back there anyway.  Shoved the gun into the "trunk" in back.  Bought chocolate and thought about how bad that could have gone.


Sometimes it doesn't matter if you're a "law abiding citizen".  One wrong move and you are no longer in that category, are you?

No comments: