Thursday, April 17, 2008

Friendship Expiration Date


My wife and I were getting a pizza for dinner the other night. When we went to a Papa John's in town, one we usually go. This store is where a high school friend of mine works. I mentioned this to Andrea and we talked about him. During the discussion that followed I stumbled on describing whether he was a friend or is a friend. I said, "There is no expiration date on friendship." This isn't always exactly true, but many times the people we call our friends remain friends (or at least friendly) even when we haven't seen them for years. You know the type, you see them after a long spell and it's as if the years between have dropped away. It's a mark of true friendship that the things that you liked about each other then are still true and still appealing to you. This story doesn't have a part where we got together and had a great time. Sometimes I worry about how life can get so busy that we just don't have or won't take the time to socialize. So my heartwarming revelation that there are all these latent friendships out there might ring a bit hollow. It doesn't matter - I find comfort in it nevertheless.

No comments: