Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Raw Footage

I recently was sent a video about Gravity Waves.

It's from a Science at Nasa website http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/19mar_grits.htm that highlights lots of scientific phenomenon

I had not seen the video before, because I listen to the program as a podcast and rarely look at the site. I remembered hearing about gravity waves, and a search of my podcasts in iTunes pulled up the Science at Nasa podcast. I checked the Nasa site feed and was surprised to find the same video.

They say these gravity waves might be related to tornado formation. I had seen time lapse photos of clouds before, where they look like waves on the ocean. In school, in my Mechanical Engineering courses, like Fluid Dynamics, they talked about gasses and liquids as both being "fluids". That always seemed odd to me. Gas didn't seem like a fluid to me, but many of the same equations applied. The video really shows what they are talking about. The air/cloud interface is like the surface of a pond with the gravity waves being the ripples working their way across

That brings up the subject of being sensitive to the world around you. There are many details in life that are right in front of us that most people ignore. If you are attuned to the world, you'll see many amazing things that are invisible right under our noses. That's why I like science, it explains so many things

The problem with being sensitive and open to what's in the world around you is that it also makes you unprotected and raw. The more aware and in tune you are, the more bad and nasty things you'll see too. It's like the superhero stories where the person has all these great powers, but it brings lots of crappy hassles and pain to them too. The more you care, the more you hurt, but also, the more you feel and the richer you live. I think it's worth it. It also explains rock stars like Kurt Cobain, who was tapped into something incredible, but in the end it consumed him.

Video Credit: Iowa Environmental Mesonet Webcam.

No comments: