Thursday, July 31, 2008

Visions in the Mind's eye


I was out running a few days ago, on a slightly stormy overcast day, where the clouds took on this very pretty blue gray color. This is midsummer when the blue cornflowers are in bloom in the ditches and on the roadside. I noticed that the cornflowers were the same color as the clouds in the stormy sky.

I remember thinking that I did not have my camera, and it would have made a beautiful picture. Sometimes you have to hold on to the pictures just in your mind. You hope you can remember them well and recall them when you want.

I ran past a foggy cove of a lake the other morning and the air was heavy and still. There was a Blue Heron in the fog across the cove, full of sailboats. I watched his ungainly, gawky form as he struggled to the air and then coasted across the water with an improbable grace that seemed to defy gravity.

So often these quick flashes are not recorded and quickly forgotten. They make up the fabric of life. You wonder what your mind does with so many details.

As I drove across Kansas, I saw long views in the open plain, simple still and silent, yet complete and majestic. I've been caught up in the overlooked details in wood grain or random patterns of shadows.

You wonder if there is meaning in the visions as they flash by. It's easy to say that some things are simply meant to be appreciated. Some things are just beautiful, they have no special meaning. But these things come together to make up your life's experience, even if they aren't recorded or remembered. That gives them meaning.

No comments: