Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Showered


I've read about it, I knew about the danger, I thought about it, I believed the statistics, but I never thought I'd fall down in the shower.

I didn't get hurt, and I got off easy.

But I was really stupid. I soaped down, then stepped out with one foot to reach for something, and on the way back in it happened.

When my soapy foot in the shower started to go out from under me, I knew it was happening. They say these things happen in slow motion, and they are right. It's both slow motion and it's over before you know it.

I had something in each hand, and just refused to believe it was happening to me, so I didn't drop them, and I didn't try to stop myself. I just went from standing to sitting, to lying on my back with my feet up the front wall of the shower.

I've got one of those bathtub showers, so I was lying on my back in the tub. How in the world my legs got up the wall, I'll never understand. But what did happen was my flailing legs closed the drain on the tub and shut off the hot water on the way to their final resting place.

You've probably never tried to get in the position I was in, so it might not occur to you what kind of mess I was in. I was below the edge of the tub with my arms on the bottom. I was really in a low spot, and it took a while to struggle up to the point that I could even get my arms on the side of the tub and pull myself off.

All this while the tub filled with cold water and the frigid shower kept me nice and cool.

So I end up thankful for two things. One, that I didn't get hurt. Two, that I didn't have a web cam in my shower. I don't know if I could stand watching it.

No comments: